Monday, May 7, 2012

New video cards not working right?

I have tried 2 new cards so far, and whenever I try to play any game, everything is very jumpy. I uninstalled my old drivers, installed the new ones and even went online and downloaded from the websites, for both cards. Nothing works. Is there a reason for this? How can I fix it? If I put my old card back in, for the minute or 2 that it works it runs everything smoothly.|||It might be the refresh rate of your monitor isn't matching the frame rate your video card is sending to it. Let us suppose your refresh rate is 60 Hz, and the card is sending 300 FPS. There are a significant number of frames that just will not be shown and you will see jerking and tearing.

In your video properties check and see if you have a setting for Vsync. If it is on, turn it off. If it is off, turn it on. Then run the game again. What Vsync does is tie the frame rate to the refresh rate (at 60 Hz you would probably be capped at 120 FPS) when it is on. What could be happening is (if on), your game needs a higher frame rate and is processing frames that it can't display. Or (if off) it could be displaying frames faster than your display can show them.



And, of course, there's always the case that some games just don't work with some graphics cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment