Monday, May 7, 2012

Can software affect a video cards performance?

My video card died on me recently. It started happening when I updated DirectX and was playing Darksiders for PC. My computer was fine for over a week with the exception of system restore telling me to restore before I updated DirectX due to some sort of problem. After continuously retrying so that I may play my game, finally one day my computer froze and the system locked up whenever I tried to play any game or watch any video, the resolution was reset and there were artifacts everywhere. Was it just my card's time or did software somehow have something to do with it?|||If you are getting artifacts, then it is VERY unlikely that the software caused the issue.



You should try to reinstall your video card drivers just to be sure, but likely the card was on it's way out the door anyhow.|||It's possible the video card drivers had a bug that caused the artifacts and system lockup. If ever I suspect video card strangeness, I check for updated drivers first.



That said, video cards do get hot and that can kill them over time, especially as board-mounted fans die and heatsink paste dries out.

No comments:

Post a Comment