Friday, April 27, 2012

Video Cards, 128 bit versus 256 bit?

I want to upgrade my video card and soon my CPU. I've been eyeing the ATI Radeon 5770 as the most practical solution, the 5850 is out of my range in terms of price. The 5830 is supposed to fill that gap, but I still feel ~240 is a bit of a stretch for me. I'm 16 and I have a job but I can't dump all my money into this. So really the 5770 is my best choice at this time. But the only thing that turns me off of it is the 128 bit bus. How will this affect gaming performance. Is it enough bandwidth to supply a 22" 1080 monitor w/ some eye candy? I also find the single 6 pin power requirement pretty lucrative cause that means I can X-fire later w/ my current PSU. So any thoughts/recommendations/experience?|||The 5770 is a good card, dont worry too much about the bus width, 256 is always better than 128 but the newer cards make up for this with faster DDR5 memory speeds and more stream processing.

It should give you enough poke to run with reasonable detail and frame rates on your 22" monitor.



Don't rule out a second hand (or old stock) 4890 they are formidable cards for the money and probably a little better than the 5770.

No comments:

Post a Comment