Sunday, May 6, 2012

Is there an advantage to having 2 video cards - and does my MB support it?

Asus P4S800

GeForce 5200 (AGP, currently installed)

GeForce 6200 (PCI or AGP, will buy, trying to decide)



I'm upgrading from my 5200 to 6200 and wanted to know two things,

does my mainboard support 2 cards and do I benefit from having 2 cards installed? I'll be doing trading in the markets, general work, casual 3D gaming and mild to medium Photoshop work.|||you cant use agp and pci graphics card at the same time, you can only go dual graphics card on SLI/crossfire eg using PCI-E boards, you might be able to get it to work but the cards will not combine there graphical power.|||Having 2 nVidia cards in a machine, in a SLI configuration, is something that is really only advantageous to enthusiast gamers. And none of them would ever consider getting a series 5xxx or 6xxx nVidia card.



So suffice it to say... no you don't need 2 cards.

Of note, if your video card only has 1 video output it's possible to add a second card to run a second monitor, but I recommend swapping out the 1 card for a single card with 2 outputs for that purpose.|||There are a few graphics cards that can be used simultaneously and share processing power, however I don't think that your Geforce card supports that, so in other words it will do you no good to have 2 cards, you will only be able to use one at a time.|||there is no benefit in having two cards. your computer might crash also because the video cards are conflicting with each other. you only want one card in there|||The only advantage is having dual monitors. I don't know about your MB but I have had two video cards in systems without issues. Of course you need one AGP and one PCI.

No comments:

Post a Comment