Sunday, May 6, 2012

Seeking Recommendations for Sound & Video Cards for my Computer?

My sound card is dying so I'm going to replace and upgrade it AND the video card and would appreciate recommendations from you experts out there.



Some considerations:

My OS is Win XP w/SP2

My 3-month goal is to incorporate my computer and HDTV to a surround sound A/V system.

I'm on a VERY limited budget as I'm disabled and only receive Social Security Disability income. I can't spend a lot, but I don't want to buy dirt cheap and have dirt cheap results. Realistically I can probably spend NO More than $200 TOTAL.



I am NOT a gamer so don't care about that so much

I WILL use both primarily for DVD's, music, streaming, burning/ripping/copying, etc. and would like to copy my old vinyl LP's to CD.

I DO want to use my TV as an additional monitor so I've been told I need a "Dual Screen Video Card for AGP"



I'm not a computer techie so I don't know what other info would be helpful. Please ask and I will add it here.



Thanks!



Karen|||looking at what you WANT from your TV. i suggest looking on eBay or other local auctions for an:

nVidia 7800gt Video Card

this card [used] will cost about $100 [if not less]

there are two types [pci-e and agp], make sure u get the right one.

this is the best video card for your money [that you can afford] that provides dual outputs for multiple displays. this will support HDTV and is a GREAT "investment". you might see 8600 cards for cheaper, but the x800 numbers are the best [ex: 6800 / 7800 / 8800]. .



as far as sound, there is a 7.1 channel creative sound card on newegg.com for $32. thats a great card and will fit the bill for HD audio. heres a link to that .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



that makes total of $132 for audio/video

[giv or take] but still under $200 and the BEST u can get. .|||Thank you for the recommendations.



I did a Google search for "nVidia 7800gt Video Card" and "nVidia 7800gt Video Card for agv" and the prices ranged from $350 - $446! What am I doing wrong?

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment